Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Rehearsals///Upheavals

I just got home from the rehearsals with Kezia. My mind is swimming with desire
to add and detract. Its 3:30 in the morning and I cannot sleep. We have just spent many long hours practicing movement and timing.

First I would like to say that Kezia is seriously delving into this. Dance experience seems to be more crucial than I had previously thought. She seems to be stuck, but that is paired with an obvious and strong desire to make this work.

Issues regarding the body are on the forefront in her life right now. Thyroid cancer has shaken her to the core. Her last radiation treatment was less than two months ago.
I am thoroughly convinced that we have been brought together for a reason. I wonder at the subconscious choice of creating a gown that mutates the silhouette / takes over the body.

The concept behind this piece has moved towards a new point of departure.

This was once about the exorbitant nature of excessive fashion, and now it is more of
a story about the mutations and changes in her body, and her ability to face them and cope.

I am seriously moved by this experience.

I also recognize that the viewer may not absorb this power by observing the performance alone.

This is bringing out something in us.
And I am so glad that we get to share this.

No comments: